Cheapskates Ways to Cut Energy Bills - October 2001
- Reduce overall lighting in non-work areas by removing one bulb in three in multiple light fittings
- Use on large bulb instead of several small ones if bright light is needed.
- Install dimmer switches when replacing light switches.
- If using a three-way lamp, use only the highest setting when reading.
- Use white or light coloured lampshades to get maximum light.
- Prevent water from cooling as it travels to your plumbing by wrapping hot water pipes with insulating material.
- Always bring liquids to the boil in a covered pan.
- Cook with a timer.
- Use saucepans made of glass or ceramic rather than metal to reduce cooking temperatures.